Be Active with Arthritis is an Adapted Exercise Programme for people with arthritis and related conditions. This programme was developed by Arthritis Ireland and the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists. This is a one hour class over 6 weeks directed by a chartered physiotherapist. This course takes place in Castle Hotel Leisure Pool, Castle Hotel, Main Street, Macroom, Co. Cork.
Dates: 13th, 20th & 27th October & 10th, 17th & 24th November 2016. There will be no class Thursday 3rd November 2016
Places are limited to absolute maximum of 12 people per class. Pre-booking absolutely essential. Payment must be made in advance of the 1st class. Booking by click HERE.
Water Exercise Programme: The adapted water exercise programme will provide a comfortable and effective way to exercise with arthritis because the joints and muscles are supported in water.
- Water buoyancy greatly reduces pressure on the joints
- Relieves pain, assists movement and enables exercise that can otherwise be difficult
- Helps halt the progression of arthritis
- Social contact at classes allows people to meet others with similar problems – reducing depression and social isolation
- Programme Information:Regular exercise is proven to be one of the most effective treatments for arthritis. It reduces pain, keeps joints moving, restores flexibility and strength and protects joints against further damage. However, only 30% of the 915,000 people in Ireland with arthritis get enough exercise as overcoming fears about exercise can be very difficult – especially when in pain.To attend these classes, participants will have to be independently mobile and a basic general health screening will be performed in advance of the class.
Participants are not advised to attend these classes if they have the following:
- Poor balance
- Unable to follow commends clearly
- Poor water confidence
- People with active inflammation
Fee – €60 for 6 classes. Payments to made in advance of the class.
Contact: Eleanor Uí Fhiannachta, 01-6470204, <email>
(Please include my contact details. Thank you)