A member of the MacCarthy-O’Leary family of Coomlogane House, Millstreet, in earlier life she joined the Voluntary Aid Detachment, a team of civilians providing nursing care for military personnel during World War II, just as her own mother had done in World War I, and she worked as an auxiliary nurse in various military hospitals in Kent and Oxford.
Lady O’Connell was a member and former chairperson of the Trustees of Muckross House. She also spearheaded the important ‘sponsor a slate’ fundraiser that helped fund the building and maintenance of the Prince of Peace Church, close to her home in Fossa. [read more …] “Death Notice: Lady Elizabeth O’Connell”
Lieutenant Colonel William MacCarthy O’Leary – the third son of Mr. John MacCarthy O’Leary, D.L. of Coomlagne, Millstreet, County Cork and Jane daughter of John O’Connell of Greenagh ( and widow of O’Donoghue of the Glens ) was born on the 6th January, 1849. Educated at Stoneyhurst College, Lancashire, he joined the 82nd Regiment, Prince of Wales Volunteers (now the 2nd Battalion South Lancashire Regiment), as an ensign in April, 1869, and became Captain in March, 1878, having previously filled the post of Musketry Instructor to the battalion for four years. In January, 1883, Captain MacCarthy O’Leary was appointed Adjutant to the 9th Lancashire Volunteers at Warrington, and with them he served five years, with advantage to the corps and great credit to himself, being equally respected by both officers and men. He was a thorough disciplinarian. He was appointed Major in August 1888, at the expiration of his term as Adjutant, and he was posted to the 1st Battalion South Lancashire Regiment (the old 40th), then at Portsmouth, and with them he served in Jersey, and at several stations in Ireland. In November, 1888, he was appointed to the command of the battalion, and in autumn of 1898 he took his corps to the manoeuvres at Salisbury Plain, where he was highly complimented on the efficiency and smart appearance of his men, and upon the skilful manner in which he handled them.
Thence the 1st South Lancashire moved to Preston, where they became distinguished by their prowess on the football field, and in [read more …] “Lieutenant-Colonel William MacCarthy O’Leary, Coomlogane House”
A fascinating item from Millstreet’s history has appeared on eBay this week, courtesy of a high quality antique dealer in England – Pushkin Antiques. It’s a ceremonial trowel presented to Miss Madeline McCarthy O’Leary by Cannon Griffin, on the occasion of laying the foundation stone at the Male School in 1893.
The school in question was located across from the Catholic Presbtry on the Clara Road.
The trowel is 925 standard silver purity. Due to it’s historic value and being made from silver, it’s retailing at £1,955 so it is way outside of the budget of Millstreet Museum.