It’s five years to the day that President Michael D. Higgins was inaugurated as President of Ireland on 11/11/’11. It was also a day on which Michael Cashman sent me a text in the afternoon to indicate that he had just seen a few of us on the 1pm News being interviewed outside Dublin Castle Gates in the pouring rain (!) by RTÉ’s Ann Marie Smith. Amazingly the piece was repeated on all the News Bulletins throughout that day! And we have our own personal video coverage of the arrival of the President with all the entourage on that historic day….some of which is yet to be shown on LTV2 Millstreet. (S.R.)
Gordon O’Keeffe RDF ( Reserve Defence Force ) of which he has been a member for 39 years. He is part of Company 12th Battalion attached to Sarsfield Barracks in Limerick .
He is one of only 200 RDF (Reserve Defence Force) members and 2,300 members of the PDF (Permanent Defence Force ) who will be taking part in the 1916 Easter Sunday commemoration in Dublin on Easter Sunday 2016 . They will be marching from Stephens Green via O’Connell Street to Parnell Street with ceremonies at The Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin Castle, the GPO and the Garden of Remembrance between 9.00am and 12.30 pm on Easter Sunday April 27th. Click on the picture to enlarge. (S.R.)
Another Millstreet native JD Corcoran also took part in the parades in Dublin at Kilmainham Gaol, as a member of the Prison Services. ( here )
- 294th Brian Murphy Knocknakilla 03:00:07
- 809th Chris Murphy Clara 03:18:29
- 1425th John Sheahan 3:28:59
- 2444th Brian O’Connor Cloghoula 03:43:09
- 3039th Thomas O’Leary 03:49:41
- 4300th Con Twomey 04:02:42
- 5112ndPaudie Bourke Kilcorney 04:08:40
- 4802nd Humphrey Hickey The Bush Bar 04:08:50
- 5613rd Liam Bourke Kilcorney 04:15:01
- 8483rd Michelle O’Leary(Casey) 05:01:49
- 10005th Mary O’Mahony 06:23:50 and 9767th Denis O’Mahony 06:01:35 walked it!
- Also one of the local guards ran it, but we’re not sure which one!
If you know someone that ran, then go check up their times.