Wonderful Wedding of Linda & Ronan – Part 1

We thank the Happy CoupleLinda O’Sullivan of Rathduane & Ronan Galvin of Millstreet for permitting us to share a selection of images relating to their wonderful Wedding Day on Sat. 29th July 2017.  Part One features the arrival at the exquisite setting of Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Ballydaly.  Part Two will follow the Church ceremony.  Click on the many images to enlarge.  (S.R.)

And we continue to share a further 30 images of the magnificent occasion.  We wish Linda & Ronan every Blessing and Happiness for the future. [read more …] “Wonderful Wedding of Linda & Ronan – Part 1”

Jerry Presents Superb Local Craft Works to Millstreet Museum

dscf4470-1000

Jerry Lehane presents two superb works of art to Millstreet Museum.  Click on the images to enlarge.  (S.R.)
Jerry Lehane presents two superb works of art to Millstreet Museum.   Jerry created the Green Glens and the National Dairy Show features in his home at Ballydaly.   Over the years he has kindly made available to our local Museum some of the most interesting historic items.  We extend our sincere thanks to Jerry who consistently promotes his native Millstreet.  Click on the images to enlarge. (S.R.)

Uplifting Success of LTV2 Millstreet Church Gate Collection 2016

We wish to express sincere thanks to the many generous people who very kindly supported our annual LTV2 Millstreet church gate collection in Millstreet, Ballydaly and Cullen. The €2,100 (approx. - final figure to be confirmed later) contributed will help to fund batteries for cameras, purchase of discs, video recording tapes for cameras and the placement of our regular programmes on the Millstreet website making transmissions available worldwide. Click on the images to enlarge. (S.R.)
We wish to express sincere thanks to the many generous people who very kindly supported our annual LTV2 Millstreet church gate collection in Millstreet, Ballydaly and Cullen. The €2,165.00 contributed will help to fund batteries for cameras, purchase of discs, video recording tapes for cameras and the placement of our regular programmes on the Millstreet website making transmissions available worldwide. Click on the images to enlarge.  (S.R.)

1LTV2 Millstreet Collection 2016 -6006LTV2 Millstreet Collection 2016 -6005LTV2 Millstreet Collection 2016 -6004LTV2 Millstreet Collection 2016 -6003LTV2 Millstreet Collection 2016 -600

Disabled Drivers Collection This Weekend

Disabled Drivers Collection

The Disabled Drivers Association will hold their annual church gate collection prior to Masses in Millstreet, Ballydaly and Cullen this weekend April 16/17.    The support of the public would be greatly appreciated.  (We thank John Tarrant for this reminder – S.R.)

When Ballydaly was once part of Kerry

1797 Civil & Eccleastical Map by Beaufort
1797 Civil & Eccleastical Map by Beaufort which shows the East Fractions to the west of Millstreet and to the north of Cullen (click the map to enlarge)

When looking at historical maps of the Millstreet area from the 18th Century, we noticed that Kerry extended into Ballydaly and a totally detached part of Kerry was just north of Cullen. Intrigued having never heard of this, we did some research, this  is what we found out:

“Referred to as the East Fractions, they were exclaves of the barony of Magunihy in County Kerry. They existed from the suppression of County Desmond in the sixteenth century until 1843, when detached parts were transferred by Richard Griffith under the Valuation of Lands (Ireland) Act 1836 to the adjoining baronies. The fractions were part of the MacCarthy Mór territory from which Magunihy was delimited.”

It is not fully clear as to extent of the fraction around Ballydaly. Officially it was just the townlands of Balldaly and Kippagh, but it is mentioned elsewhere in different places that the Ballydaly fraction included Coolanarney and Coomacheo, and the old maps would seem to support this. We have recreated the map below showing the Ballydaly Fraction and the [read more …] “When Ballydaly was once part of Kerry”

Celebration of Fr. Seán Tucker’s Golden Jubilee to the Priesthood

Fr. Seán Tucker in the company of members of his family and friends celebrated wonderful occasion of the Golden Jubilee to the Priesthood in the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, Ballydaly on Monday, 6th Oct. 2014.  Click on the images to enlarge.  (S.R.)
Fr. Seán Tucker in the company of members of his family and friends celebrated the wonderful occasion of the Golden Jubilee to the Priesthood in the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, Ballydaly on Monday, 6th Oct. 2014.  Click on the images to enlarge.   (S.R.)

4Fr. Seán Tucker's Golden Jubilee to the Priesthood 2014 -80010Fr. Seán Tucker's Golden Jubilee to the Priesthood 2014 -8007Fr. Seán Tucker's Golden Jubilee to the Priesthood 2014 -800

Exactly 85 years ago on 6th Oct. 1929 Ballydaly Church was officially opened by Bishop O’Brien.  Here we share some more images from Fr. Seán’s 50th Anniversary to the Priesthood.   We extend sincere congratulations to Fr. Seán on such a special [read more …] “Celebration of Fr. Seán Tucker’s Golden Jubilee to the Priesthood”