* Duhallow U21 Hurling Championship: Banteer 2-9 Millstreet 0-10
* Munster U21 Hurling Semi-final: Cork 4-19 Tipperary 1-21 (Mark Ellis was wing back) [march report]
* All Ireland Minor Ladies Semi-Final: Cork 4-4 Tyrone 1-5 (Alanna Barry on the Cork team)
* Paul Sheehan played with the Cork team that won the Munster under 16 Football final in Limerick over the weekend. They beat Tipperary by 1-9 to 0-5 in the final. [see match reports]
* Paul O’Connor played with the Cork team that played in the Munster U15 Championship in Millstreet (The Humphery Kelleher Cup)
* Cathal Crowley played with the Cork (1) team that played in the Munster U14 Championships in Waterford. They won their section, but lost in the semi to Tipperary.
Cork BHAA IPS/Garda 5k: 4th Tony Kelleher (CSO) 16:05.
Donegal International Rally: Daniel Lucey/Conor O’Flynn (#115) in their Ford Escort Mk1, who were featured on millstreet.ie last week, made it to stage 23 of 24 but didn’t finish the rally after climbing to 7th position in the National Class to that point.
They can be seen in action in Donegal @1:11 in this video.
To the all the people of Millstreet and its surrounds
Hilary, Paul and Marie would like to say a huge THANK YOU for all your wonderful support and help for The Monster Mac. Without it the event would not have happened. It was so nice to work with so many friendly and enthusiastic people and with all that positive energy we would hope to be back again next year. Millstreet is a unique town with an amazingly strong community spirit. The Céad Míle Fáilte is alive and well in the community of Millstreet.
One of the famed Kippagh O Connors of athletics and gaelic football
So many marvellous memories of Michael to recall
Like that sunny afternoon in early Spring in Pound Hill in Millstreet
That he won a six mile road race he was so quick on his feet
* U21 HC: Newmarket 1-8, Millstreet 3-13
* JAHL: Newmarket 1-11 Millstreet 0-14
* JBFL: Freemount 4-10 St John’s 0-7;
* MAHL: Cuchullains (Kanturk & Kilbrin) v Millstreet, Sunday 12pm
* Ladies Football Munster Minor A Championship Round 1: Cork 3-15 Tiperary 1-02 :: Congrats to Alanna Barry who is on the Cork team. [Match report] Cork play Clare (20th April) and Kerry in the next two weeks. Coiste na nÓg Thuaidh * U16 A Hurling League: Kilworth 6-22, Millstreet 0-05
* U14 A Football League: Millstreet 3-08, Thomas Russells 6-17
* U13 A Football League S/Fs: Wolfe Tones 3-09, Millstreet 1-20 (AET)
* Well done to the Millstreet team that played Valley Rovers in an exhibition game at half time during the Cork v Dublin NHL game in Páirc Uí Chaoimh last Sunday (pictured right)
Corinthians Cup Quarter-Final: Park Utd B 3 Rathcoole Rovers A 0
AUL 2A: CFC Banteer 1 Millstreet Celtic 1
AUL 3A: Lakewood Ath 1 Los Zarcos 0
Rallying: Charlie Drake (pictured right) made a return to the Australian Rally Championship over the weekend after a big crash last year (see the crash videos). He was competing in the QUIT Forest Rally 2011, but was forced out in the long 19km third stage of day two, while making steady progress up the classifications to seventh position.
Local runners Donal Coffey, Brian Murphy and Donal Cashman pictured rounding the cross at the top of Clara this evening in the Clara Mountain Run 2011. A beautiful evening with for running. Donal Coffey was in the lead at the cross on top of the mountain despite going a little off course on the way up, but unfortunately was soon passed on the way down. Results will be posted in the next few days when available.
John Tarrant was also at the Start/Finish line taking photos and sent us the two photos above of the runners starting off and Paul Tierney coming in to the finish line to take win.
On Sunday evening, the Irish Mountain Running Association are holding the annual race up and down Clara Mountain from Millstreet.The entry fee is €10 and the race starts at 7pm. Registration is in the GAA Hall.
The race is basically an out and back route with a loop near the summit. It will be on trails and it could be described as very steep. Perhaps not everyone’s thing but some might be interested. Just don’t wear your best shoes 😉 [read more …] “Clara Mountain Run 2011”
It is almost time for the MONSTERMAC adventure race.
Running races and feel like something different?
8km trail run : Road Bike 25km and Kayak 400m is possible if you can run the Glebe (8km)
If you don’t feel like taking part but would like to support as a marshall on the day contact 087 417 9110
Join Ireland’s best adventure race – a new challenge. With a varied mix of challenging on road biking, off road running and a short kayak section, it is set to get the hearts racing on either the 65km MonsterMAC EXPERT category or somewhat easier 35km SPORT category.
Set in and around Millstreet Country Park, the route follows parts of the scenic Cork/Kerry Duhallow Way, in this well designed, often challenging, sometimes gruelling, [read more …] “MonsterMAC”
Cathal Crowley, Paul O’Connor, Billy Cronin, Oisin Murphy, Kashif Admad, Muireann Murphy, Aideen Buckley, and Ellie Dineen who have been competing for Millstreet Community School in the Munster Cross Country Championships recently.
The junior boys cross country team were bronze medalists at the recent south munster schools cross country championships and finished sixth overall in the munster championships held in the CIT grounds on Thursday 17th February. [read more …] “Munster Schools Cross Championships”
Cork Schools Invitational Cross Country:
2nd/3rd Year Girls: 5th Aideen Buckley, Millstreet CS
1st Year Boys: 3rd Cathal Crowley, Millstreet CS
2nd/3rd/4th Year Boys Team: 3rd Millstreet CS 78pts
4th/5th/6th Year Boys Team: 3rd Millstreet CS 83pts
Clonakilty Marathon 2010:
#11 John Paul Buckley, Millstreet AC finished in 94th in the Marathon. times: 04:01:15(finish) 00:45:14(5.5 miles) 01:44:53(13 Miles)
#1255 Donal Coffey, finished 3rd in the Half-Marathon in a time of 1:14:25 (Pictured on the right)
Duhallow U14 A Hurling Championship Final Replay: Kanturk 0-8 Millstreet 0-4
AOH Cup 3rd Round: Rathcoole Rovers A 3 Park Utd B 3 (Rathcoole won 4-3 on pens aet);
AUL 2A: Millstreet Celtic v CFC Banteer (off)
AUL 3A: Lakewood Ath v Los Zarcos (off)
U16 Div 2: Kilreen Celtic 5 – 2 Rathcoole Rovers
Cork Camogie Junior B Plate Final: Millstreet 6-5 Glen Rovers 3-4, in Cloghduv, Sunday 14th 🙂
Duhallow Junior B League Final: St.Johns 1-5 Lyre 4-13 in Knocknagree @ 8pm, Friday 12th
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 19 Nevin Cup Millstreet v St Johns, Millstreet 8pm
Soccer: (13th/14th November)
Lucozade Sport Munster Junior Cup 2nd Round: Millstreet Celtic 2 Killumney Utd 10
AUL 1A: Greenmount Rangers v Rathcoole Rovers (called off)
AUL 3A: Ballinhassig 3 Rathcoole Rovers 2
U16 National Cup: St. Mary’s 2 – 4 Rathcoole Rovers
Presidents Cup Quarter Finals: Strand Utd v Los Zarcos (off – weather)
AUL 1A: Rathcoole Rovers 3 Douglas Hall 2
AUL 2A: Leeview Ath v Millstreet Celtic (off- weather)
AUL 3A: Ballinhassig v Rathcoole Rovers (off- weather)
Coursing (results from Mitchelstown):
* Pine Stakes All-Aged Bitch Stake (16) Final: A. Attmore & I. Forbes’ (England) dk.bd. ARRIMAR (Judicial Affair-Mattina) 1/2l bt Donie O’Mahony’s (Millstreet) f. Becky (Matt Hyland-Moorstown Mona)
* Reserves Oaks Trial Stake (32) Final: J. Treacy’s (Kilmallock) bd. CHIANG MIA (Muckle Meg-Cable Sal) 4l. bt Tar Tan Rock Syndicate’s (Millstreet) (Breeder Dan O’Donoghue) f. Tanyard Kerry (Murtys Blaze- Saruje)
The Dublin City Marathon 2010 was ran on Bank Holiday Monday 27th October. There were a number of runners from Millstreet again this year, and congrats to them all. Their results are below, some photos above, and there are also some links to videos of them in the race also below.
AOH Cup 2nd Round: Rylane Celtic 6 Millstreet Celtic 2; Rathcoole Rovers A 5 Pearse Celtic 2; Rathcoole Rovers B 2 Donoughmore Ath 0
AUL 3A: Strand Utd 2 Los Zarcos 2 (they play Strand away again next Sunday in cup quarter final – best of luck to them, only two games from the final – SB)
U13 National Cup: Macroom 1 Rathcoole Rovers 0
County U16A Football Championship Quarter-Final: Millstreet beat Cobh. They pay Macroom in Coachford on Saturday at 2.30pm.in the semi-final.
Cork Vocational Schools Senior Hurling Championship: Millstreet CS 7-14, Davis Col Mallow 1-5
Duhallow Junior B Hurling League Semi-Final: Millstreet 2-8 Freemount 0-17
Duhallow Cup: Newmarket 4-17 St John’s 0-3;
County Quarter Final: Mallow B V Boherbue, Saturday 23 October, Millstreet 1pm
County Semi Final: Mallow A V Bantry Blues, Saturday 23 October, Millstreet 2.30pm
FAI Umbro Junior Cup 2nd Round: Inter City Celtic 1 Millstreet Celtic 5; Rathcoole Rovers 3 Mayfield Utd (MSL)1
AUL 3A: Los Zarcos 0 Lakewood Ath 3
Cork Schoolboys League National Cup U16: Carrigaline Hibernians 1 – 5 Rathcoole Rovers
Congratulations to Tony Kelleher (formerly of Minor Row) now based in Cork and runing for Togher AC, who last weekend became the Irish over-40 800m champion in a personal best time of 2:02:33. A fabulous achievement no doubt.
While looking at the Irish Masters Athletic Association website, I noticed that our own Willie Neenan is still the national record holder for the mens over 65s at 800m and 1500m with times of 2.32.12 and 5.08.87, which were both set in September 1998 in Italy.
He was running years before he met Marie his good and devoted wife
And Willie Neenan is still running with him ’tis a way of life
A World Masters Games over fifty silver medallist in nineteen eighty three
I remember in the fifties him and his brother John D
At cross country races in Liscahane just out of the Town of Millstreet
The famous Neenan brothers against Cork’s best did compete
Up and down the wet and high fields they set a cracking pace
For the glory of old Millstreet the young Neenan men did race. [read more …] “Willie Neenan”
*County Minor A Regional HC: Ballinascarthy 2-12 Millstreet 1-8
* Duhallow Junior A Football Championship: Rockchapel 0-18 Millstreet 1-09 (9/July)
* Duhallow Junior A Football Championship: Millstreet 0-15 Kanturk 0-13 (After extra time), 8pm in Banteer 20/July
* Humphrey Kelleher Memorial U15 Football Cup Final: Tipperary 1-8 Cork County 1-7. Shield Final:Cork City bt Limerick by 2 points (played 17th July in Millstreet)
* Mark Ellis lines out at wing back for the Cork Intermediate Team in the Thursday’s Munster Final v Waterford (at Fraher Field, Dungarvan, 7.30pm). Result: Cork won by 2 points.
The 2010 Cork City Marathon was run a week ago on the June Bank Holiday (Monday 7th June). It was a terrible day with all the runners drowned to the skin, but spirits were high regardless. There were a few Millstreet runners who took part mostly in the relay. These were: