Millstreet Town Park
Bridge and water feature near playground.
Millstreet Town Park Committee held an emergency meeting on October 13th 2014 to discuss the “Save Millstreet Town Park” article published on the millstreet.ie website on October 12th 2014.
It was agreed that a response be made on behalf of the committee in regard to the matters raised and to place on record the Park’s place in the heart of the community.
The property fondly known to other generations as ‘The Lawn’ forms part of the demesne property acquired by Denis O’ Leary from Lord Muskerry in 1781. The demesne lands remained in the ownership of the MacCarthy O’ Leary family until 1955 when it as acquired by Thomas Horgan.
The Park lands were acquired in August 1956 by the first committee for the provision of a suitable Town Park and recreation grounds for the benefits of the residents of the Parish.
It has been intimated that our committee is basically a GAA club in all but name but this is totally inaccurate. The members of the present committee have faithfully carried on the aspirations of the original committee and are drawn from clubs who utilise the Park e.g. pitch and putt, coursing, camogie, football, hurling, soccer, athletics and includes the members of the public who are totally independent and who have no allegiance to any organisation.