We thank Presenter, John Greene for advance information on this Sunday evening’s programme – 25th April 2021 at 7pm on C103. (S.R.)
Where The Road Takes Me
Next Wednesday April 28th is the centenary of the executions of four IRA Volunteers at what was then Victoria Barracks in Cork.
Patrick O’Sullivan and Maurice Moore who were arrested during the Clonmult ambush in East Cork, were executed with Patrick Ronayne and nineteen year old Thomas Mulcahy who were arrested at Mourneabbey five days earlier, during the War of Independence.
On ‘Where the road takes me’ this Sunday evening, John Greene looks back at the Mourneabbey ambush and discovers that……
* The IRA had no escape plan. (53 men – made up from The Flying Column and local volunteers)
* The unexpected arrival of the Manchester regiment confused the Lancashires and allowed the Flying Column escape.
* The Black and Tans who were stationed nearby in Mallow were not allowed to take part and why the British Railway Worker’s Union were threatening all-out strike if they did.
* A spy was eventually identified and hunted, not only by the IRA, but later also by ‘Free Staters’ during the Civil War.
Millstreet Pitch & Putt course reopens on Monday 26th April in accordance with Government Guidelines under the following conditions:
1. Current members only* may play. 2. Social distancing of two metres must be maintained at all times. 3. A maximum of four may play together limited to two households. Club will monitor compliance. Full details on display at Clubhouse.
*Rates of subscription Family €20 Adult €15 Juvenile (under 16) €10 Senior Citizen €10 Please pay subscriptions to the Club AIB Bank Account IBAN: IE77 AIBK 9361 5421 723266 BIC: AIBKIE2D
After paying please TEXT 086 879 0777 with your NAME and amount of SUBSCRIPTION paid. Otherwise Club will have no record of your membership.
We thank Pat Breen for this important Pitch & Putt Notice. (S.R.)
We invite you to submit your Requests for our weekly Music Request Show “Lunchtime Favourites” (Sunday, 25th April 2021) on Cork Music Station which is broadcast today from 12:30pm until 2.00pm….yes, a 30 minute extension! This is our 17th Lunchtime programme of 2021 where our songs and music are full of variety. All our usual features on today’s Show….But today we very especially focus on favourite songs from The Mikado, Don Williams, Ceol ón Sráid, Davy Ryan, Shandrum Céilí Band and the Clare Céilí Band and a host of wonderful Local Singers including Jim Lyons, Breeda Tarrant, Film Music and more. And we feature some wonderful Classical Favourites. Just email your requests anytime either to corkmusicstation @gmail.comOR to millstreetmuseum @gmail.com or text/WhatsApp to 086 825 0074. Or check out the Seán Radley Facebook Page. And we chat about these images below (sourced from Millstreet Museum Pictorial Archives) during our Show.Tap on the images to enlarge. (S.R.)