Mary (née Callanan) “Kitty” McCoy, beloved wife of the late James McCoy, devoted mother to Mary, doting grandmother to Brianna, passed away peacefully on November 18, 2016. Formerly of the Bronx, her last 17 yrs were as a resident of Cortlandt Manor. She was born on March 23, 1925 to Hannah (nee Hickey) and John Callanan in Blarney, residing at Tullig, Millstreet, Co. Cork, Ireland. She was predeceased by her brother Sean, and survived by her sister Joan Gleason of Pompton Lakes, NJ and many nieces, nephews and cousins, here and in Ireland.
She was a dedicated homemaker, an avid gardener and voracious reader, who nurtured her family until her infirmities overcame her. She had an impact on all those who met her, and will be greatly missed by all as we forever carry her loving memory in our hearts.
Visiting hours will be on Monday, November 21st from 2-4 & 7-9 PM at HERITAGE FUNERAL HOME, Morrissey Drive, Putnam Valley. A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10am on Tuesday at the Church of the North American Martyrs and interment will follow at Rose Hills Cemetery. [f]
The Callanan family grave is in Drishane [HistoricGraves.com]. It reads:
In Loving Memory of
JOHN (SEAN) CALLANAN
Late of Tullig Millstreet
Died 25 Feb. 1951 aged 27 Years
Died 31 May 1931. aged 72 Years
Died 28 April 1950 Aged 69 Years
Died 21 Aug 1949 Aged 74 Years.
My Jesus Mercy
R. I. P.
Erected by the Callanan Family New York
In Memory Of
TIMOTHY W. HICKEY D.G.M.M.S.M.
MAJOR 17th/21st LANCERS
of Kilcolman, Buttevant
Died 20th June 1969 aged 79 Years
After a full and useful life in the service
of others for ever with the Lord
Listed on the headstone:
- John (Seán) was Kitty’s brother and he died of TB in 1951 [death]
- Johanna Hickey (née Flynn) was Kitty’s grandmother. She married William Hickey (probably early 1878 (William, Johanna)) and lived at Lyradown, Cullen [map]. They had 10 children, of whom 8 were alive in 1911: Mary (15th Dec 1880), Katie (1884), Catherine (16th Oct 1885), Timothy (1890), Denis (1892), Willie (1894)[notes], Hannah (1898) [1901 census] [1911 census], [todo:finish children] . Johanna died 31st May 1931 [death]. Her husband William (of Lyradown) died on 26th March 1912 at Millstreet Union Workhouse [death].
- Mary O’Keeffe was Johanna Hickey’s daughter. Born on 15th December 1880 at Shanballa, Cullen [birth], was married to Charles O’Keeffe, of Altamount on 28th Feb in 1924 [marriage], and died 28 April 1950 Aged 69 Years [death].
- Charles O’Keeffe was Mary O’Keeffe’s husband. Possibly from Kilcullen/kilmartin [1901, 1911] which is north of Rylane. He died on [death].
- Major Timothy W. Hickey was the brother of Johanna and Mary (above). Little is known about him, and if he is buried in the grave. We would like to know a little about him to add to our record of WWI soldiers. [baptism] [notes]
TODO: centralise the notes on the Hickey Family in one post, and reference the family from there
- Kitty’s parents John Callanan, of 5 Blarney St, Cork, and Hannah Hickey of Rathmore, were married in the North Cathedral on 26th April 1923 [marriage]. TODO: what happened to them? Did the family all leave for America around 1951.
- Her sister Joan married Francis J Gleason and they lived at Pompton Lakes, New Jersey. Francis died in 2003 [obit – children: Joan (Peters) of Clifton, NJ; John of Gulf Port, Fa.; Michael of Vernon; and 5 grandchildren]
The family lived at Tullig / Altamount. After Seán died, the Golden family who were living in Altamount Lodge (where the entrance to Dr Casey’s is now) purchased the house and still live in the house.
Note: Callanan not Callahan