Vaughan playing for Cork VEC Senior Hurlers

Michael Vaughan from Millstreet Community School was playing for Cork Vocational Schools in the Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final last Saturday (Jan 30th 2010) in what proved to be yet another defeat to Kilkenny. In at corner forward he managed a point in a game that was to-ing and fro-ing throughout.

… and Cormac Heffernan were both on the mark in the 45th minute, sweeping to 1-14 to 3-5. Michael Vaughan did reply a minute later but the dynamic had decisively changed. Then, after a melee in their defence …

Full match report (from a Kilkenny viewpoint) below

Kilkenny Find Winning Vocation

All-Ireland Vocational Schools Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final
January 30, 2010 2.00pm

Kilkenny VS 1-18 Cork VS 3-8

Kilkenny Vocational Schools, last Saturday afternoon, earned a merited four-point win over their Cork counterpart at a cold but dry Grennan.

This grade is one in which Cork were seeking six All-Ireland titles in a row as of 2010. Kilkenny’s selection, which had the unusual facet of containing two Waterford natives and a Tipperary sub, should improve with the outcome, even if the hour’s hurling rarely hit the heights. Collective resolve was plain to see.

19 scores to 11 tells its own tale. If the home side were swart superior, far better to take a point, they still had to overcome serious setback. This contest was topsy turvy, scores tending to arrive in spurts, no sustained pattern to exchanges.

The key passage? 41st to 52nd minute. Therein Kilkenny parlayed a one-point deficit into a five-point lead. Not flattered to have led at halftime by 1-9 to 1-5, they found themselves that point down in the 35th minute. The situation was all the more dismaying because captain Pádraic Gahan had shot over in flying style on resumption.

However, Cork struck double in a major way five minutes later. First, Rory O’Sullivan kicked to the net after a delivery led to crossed lines between goalkeeper Dylan Walsh and his full-back line. Worse ensued when the resultant puckout was returned with interest. Similar lack of cohesion, leading to the ball being spilled out around 15 metres. The same O’Sullivan was on hand to capitalize with a precise finish.

At 1-10 to 3-5, Kilkenny must have blanched. Now facing the breeze into the bargain, it would have been easy for them to give up the ghost. Much to the credit of the players and their mentors ― Derek Dooley (Grennan College ~ Danesfort), Eoin McCormack (Abbey Community School ~ James Stephens), John Cahill (Coláiste Mhuire ~ Emeralds) ― they gritted their teeth and dug in.

Following intense struggles over the next five minutes, Dylan Waugh slotted a free (41m). The home mentors rejigged their attack, strengthening the half-forwards by relocating Kieran Bergin from full-forward. This emphasis began to pay a dividend, with the opposition front six denied possession because their half-backs had started to struggle.

Which or whether, Waugh levered momentum with a superb point seconds after his successful free. Sweeping on, Michael Grace and Cormac Heffernan were both on the mark in the 45th minute, sweeping to 1-14 to 3-5. Michael Vaughan did reply a minute later but the dynamic had decisively changed. Then, after a melee in their defence, Leeside centre-back Lorcan O’Neill received a straight red for ‘leading with his head’.

Unfazed by the interruption, Gahan took another tremendous point on the run in the 49th minute. Grehan (50m) and a Waugh free (52m) soon augmented for 1-17 to 3-6. The stripes had pulled it right round through character and willpower.

There were but three more flags. The lively John Michael O’Callaghan of Argideen Rangers hoisted two frees (53m, 55m). Conor Tobin responded with his fourth excellent free from distance, leaving matters 1-18 to 3-8 on 57 minutes.

The remaining excitement devolved to O’Callaghan in added time, picking a loose ball and flashing through the opposition defence. He forced a good parry from Dylan Walsh, who also managed to divert a follow up attempt for a 65.

This opportunity produced no profit. Shortly, the long whistle called a halt to Cork ambitions for six on the spin.

Kilkenny had ridden out a vigorous Rebel start. Although against a fresh breeze, the visitors led by 0-3 to 0-2 after ten minutes, the hurling promisingly brisk. Rory O’Sullivan (1m) and Dylan Waugh (2m) immediately swapped a free. Soon afterwards centre-back Conor Tobin, magnificent in Fenians’ march to the 2009 Minor B title, launched over a free from about 80 metres for 0-2 to 0-1.

Blood & Bandage quickened. Following quite a lot of pressure, John Michael O’Callaghan fired over a 65 (65m). The diminutive Darra Ring dashed ahead in the 10th minute, deftly converting for 0-3 to 0-2.

Oddly, Cork then fell away, especially on their own puckout. Meanwhile Kilkenny, as half-back and midfield got on top, grabbed the game’s scruff for the next 15 minutes. Another long free, slung by Tobin (11m), started the spell. Sam Lawless lashed over off the ground on 11 minutes. Three composed Waugh frees (13m, 16m, 18m) made it 0-7 to 0-3.

Tobin belted over another monster on 21 minutes. Five minutes later, the cumulative pressure really told. Full-forward Kieran Bergin won possession around the 20 metres after Waugh had sent in a sharp diagonal ball. Bergin made good ground and kicked to the net for a well deserved eight-point advantage, 1-8 to 0-3.

The adage about vulnerability immediately after scoring a goal once again proved true. The puckout led to a Cork free, which O’Callaghan placed quickly to Marc Howard, lurking in space around top of the right. He gathered, swivelled and sent a cross shot high into the far corner of the net.

It was an unlikely boon on the run of play. No matter. Enlivened, Cork swiftly added a free by O’Callaghan. Better again: the ball was carefully worked up the field in the 30th minute and the same man made no mistake from play. Three points down, 1-8 to 1-5, was much better than had seemed possible shortly beforehand.

Kilkenny did stretch the gap to four just before the interval, courtesy of a wonderful Pádraic Gahan run from midfield. He laid off to Lawless, who calmly obliged. Black & Amber would have setbacks to cross in the second half but this response alone indicated abundant and adequate spirit.

For Kilkenny, Dylan Walsh kept a reasonably sound goal, although he will not be happy with his input for the three goals. Brian Murphy, Tom Phelan and the promising Conor Tobin were trenchant in defence. Pádraic Gahan was comfortably the best midfielder on show. Dylan Waugh operated incisively in attack, with Cormac Heffernan and Sam Lawless industrious at half-forward. Kieran Bergin was much improved in the second half.

Cork were well served by capable custodian Shane Shearon. Most effective, fronting him, were Graham Carroll, Patrick Cronin and Colin Smith. Their midfield was largely outgunned. Up front, John Michael O’Callaghan was by far the most threatening presence. He received best assistance from Marc Howard and Darra Ring.

Kilkenny now proceed next weekend to an All-Ireland semi-final against Offaly.

CORK Shane Shearon (Maxix College, Charleville ~ Newtownshandrum), Ian Colman (Kinsale Community School ~ Sliabh Rua), Colin Smith (Clonakilty Community School ~ Argideen Rangers), Patrick Cronin (Coláiste an Chraoibhín, Fermoy ~ Watergrasshill), Graham Carroll (St Peter’s, Passage ~ Passage West), Lorcan O’Neill (Coláiste Treasa, Kanturk ~ Kanturk), Joe Harrington (St Brogan’s, Bandon ~ Bandon) captain, Christopher Buckley (Davis College, Mallow), Alan Gould (Kinsale Community School ~ Kinsale), John Michael O’Sullivan (Clonakilty Community School ~ Argideen Rangers) 0-5 (3f, 1 65), Rory O’Sullivan (Clonakilty Community School ~ Argideen Rangers) 2-1 (0-1f), Marc Howard (St Peter’s, Passage ~ Passage West) 1-0, Darra Ring (Coachford College ~ Cloughdubh) 0-1, Dáire Lordan (Kinsale Community School ~ Courcey Rovers), Michael Vaughan (Millstreet Community School ~ Millstreet) 0-1.

Subs: John Corkery (Coachford College ~ Aghabullogue) for Christopher Buckley (43m), Corey Higgins (St Peter’s, Passage ~ Passage West) for Alan Gould (47m), Kevin Tarrant (Coláiste Treasa, Kanturk ~ Banteer) for Ian Colman (54m), Mark Sugrue (St Brogan’s, Bandon ~ Bandon) for Rory O’Sullivan (58m).

Booked: Joe Harrington (25m).

Sent off: Lorcan O’Neill (49m).

Frees conceded: 19 (11, 8).

Wides: 5 (2, 3).

KILKENNY Dylan Walsh (Scoil Aireagail ~ Thomastown United), Tom Phelan (Coláiste Mhuire ~ Galmoy), Brian Murphy (Pobal Scoil Osraí ~ Thomastown United), Dean Power (Abbey Community College ~ Kilmacow), Jamie Bergin (Coláiste Mhuire ~ Lisdowney), Conor Tobin (Coláiste Mhuire ~ Fenians) 0-4 (f), Jamie Phelan (Scoil Aireagail ~ Piltown), Pádraic Gahan (Scoil Aireagail ~ Mullinavat) captain 0-2, Peter Kenneally (Scoil Aireagail ~ Dunnamaggin), Cormac Heffernan (Abbey Community College ~ Ferrybank) 0-1, Sam Lawless (Abbey Community College ~ Ferrybank) 0-2, Michael Grace (Coláiste Mhuire ~ St Lachtain’s) 0-1, Dylan Waugh (Grennan College ~ Thomastown United) 0-7 (6f), Kieran Bergin (Scoil Aireagail ~ Dunnamaggin) 1-1, Gary Geoghegan (Kilkenny City VS ~ Bennettsbridge).

Subs: Richie Power (Coláiste Mhuire ~ Gortnahoe-Glengoole) for Gary Geoghegan (50m).

Unavailable: Lachtain Kennedy (Pobal Scoil Osraí ~ St Lachtain’s) [club tied], Conor Walsh (Scoil Aireagail ~ Ballyhale Shamrocks) [inj].

Frees conceded: 15 (8, 7).Wides: 10 (5, 5)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.