Lest We Forget (5)

[Continuing our series on the events of 1919 with the help of the daily newspaper of the First Dail, the Irish Bulletin .]


The following are the Acts of Aggression committed in Ireland by the Military and Police of the Usurping English Government, as reported in the Censored Daily Press, during the week ending  July 26th, 1919.

MONDAY, 21st JULY, 1919.

Sentences :- For collecting for Dail Eireann without a permit from the “authorities”. William Jackson, Michael Jackson, and Michael Cahill, were at Foynes, Limerick, sentenced to one month imprisonment in default of bail. They were removed to Limerick prison under a strong military and police escort. The Misses N. Fitzgibbon; M.E. Harris, M. Owens; A.M. McDonald; E. Coleman; and J. O’Brien, Youghal, Co. Cork, were fined at the Petty Sessions for selling flags without a permit. The accused did not appear at the Court; Miss Harris stated she had a permit for Mr. de Valera, and Miss Fitzgibbon said she had one from the Irish Republic. The flags were inscribed “Help Central Europe – Starving.” 

Raid :- Police searched the house of Mr. M. Foley, Edenderry, King’s Co. and took away a syllabus of military strategy.

Armed Assault :- A meeting was held in Beresford Place, Dublin, on Saturday night, and was attended by about 300 people. An ex-soldier addressed the crowd, which was good- humoured and orderly. When the meeting was dispersing a large body of police, armed with revolvers and batons, appeared on the scene. The assembly which by this time was considerably thinned, immediately broke up. Seeing this, the police broke rank and drew their batons, and advanced on the double on the remnant of the crowd. After the charge, in which the police used their baton freely and indiscriminately, half a dozen people were seen at one time lying on the roadway. While a crowd who had been singing Irish songs outside the old G. P. O., in Dublin on Saturday night, were dispersing, police appeared on the sceneand proceeded to clear the road. Two other charges were made on isolated groups of people immediately after. While proceeding down Fleet Street, Dublin, about Midnight on Saturday, three young lads were charged by a number of police, and one of them was so severely injured that he had to be taken in an ambulance to Jervis Street Hospital._On Saturday night (“Peace Night”) baton charges by police also took place in Grafton Street, Henry Street, Dame Street, O’Connell Street, and College Street, Dublin. Sixteen persons were treated in Jervis Street Hospital during the night, mostly for scalp wounds.

In Cork on Saturday night the police made several baton charges, principally in Patrick Street, and the adjoining thoroughfares. In Parliament Street, a crowd stoned police, who retaliated by firing a volley at the people. No casualties are reported.

Serious disturbances took place in Limerick, owing to disputes between British soldiers and civilians. Armed police made baton charges on the crowds. Several civilians were treated for scalp wounds. About a hundred British military were ordered out to reinforce the police but the crowds had already dispersed._

TUESDAY, July 22nd, 1919.

Armed Assaults :- While burning some Union Jacks on “Peace” Day, in Lismore, Waterford, a crowd were charged by police with batons. Several were injured in the charge.

Raid :- A force of detectives arrived in a military wagon driven by a soldier and searched the house of Mr. James McCullagh, Clonturk Avenue, Drumcondra, Dublin, yesterday morning. Nothing was found.

Proclamations :- An Irish Festival in connection with the pilgrimage to a Holy Well was announced to be held at Clonbeg, Aherlow,_Tipperary, on Sunday. The “authorities” announced that the gathering would not be allowed. Soldiers with armoured_cars and machine guns arrived during the day to enforce the proclamation. An Irish Language Festival announced to be held at Murroe, Limerick, on Sunday, was proclaimed.

WEDNESDAY, July 23rd, 1919.

Courtmartial :- Mr. Hugh Kennedy, Bansha, Co. Tipperary, was tried by courtmartial at Cork on a charge of possessing seditious_literature, namely an old copy of the official organ of the Irish Volunteers. He was found “not guilty” and discharged._Patrick Horgan, Cashel, Co. Tipperary, was released from Cork Jail in such a weak condition that he had to be removed to the South Infirmary immediately for treatment.

Armed Assault :- In Athy, Co. Kildare, on Monday evening, 40 demobilised British soldiers rushed up Duke Street and forcibly entered a shop owned by a Sinn Feiner. After destroying everything they could lay hands on, they completely wrecked the cycle stores in front of the shop, smashing the cycles and windows. They then tore down and burned a banner with an Irish motto in Leinster Street. Volunteers had to guard the houses and premises of other Sinn Feiners in the town.

Proclamation :- A meeting to be held in the Mansion House, Dublin last night under the auspices of Cumannacht na h- Eireann, at which Mr. John McLean, M.A., Glasgow, was to speak, was proclaimed. About 7 o’clock, 50 armed police under a Superintendent and a couple of Inspectors marched into Dawson Street and took possession of all the approaches to the Mansion House, preventing anyone from entering. Those in charge of the arrangements were informed that no meeting would be allowed. Groups of people, who intended to participate in the proceedings were “moved on” by police. The meeting was subsequently held elsewhere.

Raid :- The residence of Mr. J. A. Burke, Member of the Irish Parliament for Mid. Tipperary, Rochford House, Tipperary,_was raided by a large force of British Military and Police. This is the third raid within the past six months. On not finding Mr. Burke, the military and police left again.

THURSDAY, July 24th, 1919.

Courtmartial :- Mr. Matthew Butler, Turtullen, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, was tried by courtmartial at Cork on a charge of possessing seditious literature. The literature in question included “Ruthless Warfare” and “Belfast Prison Atrocities”. The evidence stated that the literature was found in the house in which Butler was living, but there was nothing to connect the accused with them. The decision of the Court has not transpired.

Arrest :- Mr. Cornelius O’Mahony, Tralee, Editor of the “Kerry News” was arrested yesterday at his residence, Moyderwell, and charged under D.O.R.A., with refusing to admit the police to a lecture at Tralee Theatre on June 25th.

Trial Sentence :- O’Mahony refused to recognise the Court and was ordered to enter into recognisances for his future good behaviour, or in default 3 months in Cork Jail. He refused to enter into recognisances, and was removed to Cork Jail.

Sentences :- Messrs. M. Jackson, W. Jackson, and M. Cahill, Foynes, Limerick, charged for collecting for Dail Eireann without a permit, and refusing to give bail, have been imprisoned in Limerick Jail.

Raids :- Large forces of British military and police left Cappa Pier, Kilrush, Co. Clare, by boat and landed on Scattery Island. They made thorough searches in each house (in all about 20) for arms. They discovered some old rusty fowling- pieces, and four of these they took away with them. They also searched the ruin of the Tower, before returning to Kilrush.

Suppressions :- A closing order under D.O.R.A., signed by Swift, K.C., “Chief City Magistrate” was served on the caretaker of 44 Parnell Square, Dublin. The building was used by the O’Rahilly and Thomas Ashe, Sinn Fein Cumainn, and contained the offices of Cumann na mBan. The order was made on the affidavit of a police Inspector that the place was being used for “seditious purposes” and was served on the care taker at his place of business.

Armed Assaults :- A shop assistant, returning to Claremorris, Co. Mayo, was attacked by seven soldiers and thrown off his bicycle. His hands were twisted behind his back, and his assailants who addressed him as “a dirty Irish dog” were marching him_towards the water-fall at Brook hill when another soldier came to his rescue. At the approach of a picket from the town the soldiers fled to their camp. It is stated that some of them have since been placed under arrest. The _injured man was subsequently helped home, and has not yet been able to resume work.

FRIDAY, July 25th, 1919.

Arrest :- Mr. Liam Tannem, Dublin, one of the 20 prisoners who escaped from Mountjoy Jail on March 29th, 1919, was re-arrested yesterday by detectives in the Public Health Offices, Municipal Buildings, where he was employed. He was taken to the Lower Castle Yard and later to Mountjoy.

Courtmartial :- James Byrne, 28 Lr. Stephen Street, Dublin, was tried by Court Martial in Dublin, charged with unlawfully possessing 5 revolvers, a German automatic pistol, a machine gun belt, with 250 cartridges, 220 rifle cartridges, 2 hand grenades, and a tin of gunpowder. Accused refused to recognise the Court. The sentence has not transpired.

Arrest :- Mr. Francis Whitney, Drumlish, Longford, was arrested by armed military and police at his residence yesterday. A thorough search was made of his house, and it is reported that some ammunition was found. He was removed to Dublin. Whitney is only a short time home form Belfast Jail where he served 3 months for drilling.

Deportation :- Mr. Hugh Thornton, Kilbogan Hill, Bandon, Co. Cork, was served with an order requiring him to leave Munster immediately. Thornton has been in Bandon since 1916 and was District Manager of the New Ireland Assurance Co. The order for his banishment was signed by Lt. General Shaw.

Sentence :- Mr. Hugh H. McGlennon, Crossgar, Co. Down, was sentenced to six months with hard labour by a Crimes Court, on a charge of unlawful assembly and assaulting a constable. According to the evidence, during a Sinn Fein procession, McGlennon struck a constable with a hurley. The constable was awarded £300 compensation. Accused refused to recognise the Court.

SATURDAY, July 26th, 1919.

Raids :- Armed police raided the Young Men’s Hall, Cloughjordan, Tipp., on Wed. night, and turned out those who were passing their time there. The hall is a social Club, with no connection 3 with any political party. The Village of Kilmaine, Co. Mayo, was raided early on Thursday morning by “British military and police” on motor lorries and bicycles. The raiders made exhaustive searches for arms and ammunition in gardens, out-offices and hay-fields, while the inhabitants slept. At about 8 a.m. they made a general house to house search, in which everything indoors was ransacked, causing great inconvenience and annoyance to the residents. Nothing was found during the search, and the raiders left the district about 11 a.m. Courtmartial:- Austin Geraghty, Boghill, Lisdoonvarna, Clare, was tried by courtmartial at Cork on July 17th, on a charge of illegal drilling and sentenced to six months imprisonment with hard labour. Sentence:- For possessing a shot-gun and 15 rounds of ammunition without a permit, John Hall, Fairfield, Wexford, was fined at Wexford Petty Assizes. Owing to the disturbance caused by discharged and demobilised soldiers in Athy, Co. Kildare, the Urban District Council have found it necessary to take action to protect the lives and property of the people in the town. The following resolution was passed at their last meeting:- “In view of recent wanton and malicious disturbance of property, and the organised attempt to terrorise the people of the town by a section of demobilised soldier and the inadequate protection afforded by the civil authorities; we call upon the well-disposed citizens of Athy to enrol themselves with the town clerk to preserve the peace, property and civil liberties.” The Chairman of the Council, Mr. P. P. Doyle, stated he had written a letter to the District Inspector of Police, pointing out that a number of police stood idly looking on when the mob was destroying private property. 

MONDAY, JULY 28th, 1919. Raids:- The house of Mr. O’Dwyer, Ballydavid, Co. Tipperary, was raided and searched by a large body of military and police. Arrests:- Mr. Jerh. O’Dwyer, Ballydavid, Co. Tipperary, was arrested by military and police at his home at night. He was carried off to the Military barracks. The charge brought against him is not disclosed. Four young men whose names were not given were arrested and tried at Letterkenny, Co. Donegal, for “indecent behaviour”. The police declared the “indecent behaviour” consisted in singing the national songs. Only by a slight majority of the magistrates was this scandalous charge dismissed and the four men liberated. Armed Assaults:- Armed police attacked and dispersed a crowd who were returning from a public welcome given to a political prisoner whose health being broken by the treatment given him in Cork Jail had been released.

TUESDAY, JULY 29th, 1919. Arrests:- Mr. O’Dwyer, a prominent citizen of Thurles, was held up on the public highway at the point of the revolver by military and police and his resistance being overcome was searched. Suppressions:- An Irish Language Festival and sports arranged to be held at Dolly’s Brae, Co. Down, was proclaimed by the English military authorities. Large forces of military and police took possession of the roads leading to the venue and held up all traffic. The festival was held secretly in the adjacent hills. An Irish Language Festival at Craugh, Co. Limerick, was similarly proclaimed. Police and military being drafted in great numbers to suppress any endeavours to hold it. Flying columns of English forces scoured the surrounding country to prevent the festival being held elsewhere. A third Language Festival was suppressed at Ballyneety, East Limerick. In this latter place the military with full war-equipment took possession of the field in which the festival was to have been held. Treatment of Prisoners:- Mr. William O’Dogherty, who was sentenced by enemy courtmartial to 9 months’ imprisonment for possession of a revolver, was released from Galway Gaol in broken health

WEDNESDAY, JULY 30th, 1919. Armed Assaults:- A large body of English military attacked a picnic party at Sarsfield Rock, Co. Limerick, dispersing them by a bayonet charge. There were many women and children in the party. Treatment of Prisoners:- Mr. John Gallagher of Enniscorthy who was sentenced to five years penal servitude by enemy courtmartial for possession of “seditious literature” was released in broken health from Maryboro’ Convict prison. His condition necessitated his immediate removal to Hospital.

Militarism :- It was stated at a meeting of soldiers held in the barracks at Thurles, Co. Tipperary, that the militarism the Irishmen who had fought for the liberation of Belgium, found in Ireland on their return home was more terrible than that they had seen in Belgium during the German occupation. In Thurles, the police have erected sand-baggage strongholds. Fully armed troops continually patrol the Streets of the town.

Courtmartial :- Mr. Eamonn O’Kelly, Dublin was tried by courtmartial for being in possession of a revolver and ammunition. Mr. L. J. McNally of Claremount, King’s County, was tried by courtmartial in Dublin. The charge was the possession of firearms. Sentence has not yet been promulgated.

THURSDAY, JULY 31st, 1919.

Raids :- Three houses were searched in Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin, by R.I.C. armed with rifles and batons. Nothing incriminating was found. Armed British Military, accompanied by armoured cars, searched the premises of Mr. Michael Gray, Main Street, Maryboro’ , Queen’s Co. It is stated that some miniature rifle ammunition was found._The same party of military searched the house of Mr. Walsh, Kylikiproe, Maryboro’. An old service rifle was found and commandeered.

Arrests: – Following a search by military and police on his home at Lalor’s Mills, Maryboro’, Queen’s County Mr. L. Brady, R.W.C. was arrested in bed on Tuesday morning and brought to Mountjoy Gaol. Mr. M. B. M’Auliffe, Newmarket, Co. Cork, was arrested by armed police. No charge has been formulated as yet.

Courtmartial :- James Byrne, 28 Lr. Stephen Street, Dublin, was tried by District courtmartial at Ship Street, Dublin on a charge of possessing firearms, ammunition, and explosives without a permit, and was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment with hard labour.


Courtmartial :- Sergeant John Clarke and Sapper W. F. Comans, two Australian soldiers, were tried by courtmartial yesterday at Ship Street Barracks, charged with marching at the head of a Sinn Fein procession the day after the signing of Peace; and with wearing Sinn Fein colours. Both the accused were acquitted. Mr. W. McNally, Molly, Longford, was charged at a courtmartial in Ship Street with possessing a seditious document and with assaulting a R. I. C. constable. The hearing was adjourned. McNally has been in custody, untried, since June 2nd.

Matthew Butler, Turtulla, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, was tried by district courtmartial at Cork on a charge of possessing two seditious leaflets namely, “Ruthless Warfare” and an account of the treatment of Sinn Fein prisoners in Belfast Jail. He was found guilty and sentenced to 6 months’ imprisonment with hard labour.

Sentence :- Maurice Culhane, Listowel, Co. Kerry; Patrick McMahon, do.; John Morrissey, do.; and Laurence O’Keeffe, do., were summoned to Limerick Petty Sessions to answer charges of damage done to their cells in the county prison on February 5th and 14th, while prisoners. The disturbance at the time arose out of an agitation for political status. None of the accused appeared before the court. Each was fined 10/- and ordered to pay compensation for damage done.

This is an extract from a full reprint of newspaper of Dáil Éireann giving war reports.

Published so far:
Volume 1, 12th July 1919 to 1st May 1920. 514pp.
Volume 2, 3rd May 1920 to 31st August 1920. 540pp.
Volume 3, 1st September 1920 to 1st January 1921. 695pp
Volume 4: in preparation

€36, £30 paperback, per volume (€55, £45 hardback) POSTFREE in Ireland and Britain

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.