From 6am next Monday the February 17th 2020, the Gardaí are rolling out new go safe speed van locations. Millstreet is now included in this and the road concerned is from The Square up to the top of Drishane Hill (see the map below). The reason it has been included seems to be that there has recently been one serious and two minor accidents on that stretch of road (R583). It’s not a big change because it has been for good reason a favourite spot for the Gardaí to check for speeding. The message now would seem to be that if people are consistently speeding and accidents are a problem on a road, the speed vans will arrive. It’s a good thing if it gets people to slow down.
- 903 new safety camera zones from 06:00 on Monday 17th February
- A total of 1,322 safety camera zones nationwide
- Safety cameras are proven life savers
- 575 safety camera zones have been removed following a review
- More than 1.5m speeding tickets issued since introduction of safety cameras.
Below is a map of the wider area around Millstreet showing the routes that are include in the Speed Van locations. To see it properly, visit GoSafe.ie.