Millstreet Celtic 3 Crescent 3

Congratulations to Millstreet Celtic who today are Champions of Cork AUL Division 2A after drawing with title challengers Crescent in The Town Park, Millstreet, in a tense and exciting game in front of an good crowd who cheered on the Millstreet team to title honours.


Match Report by Tim Kiely: We drew 3-3 with Crescent in the park this morning to secure the 2A title. Playing with a stiff breeze in the 1st half we were slow to get going and were punished after just 8 mins. A through ball caught out our defence and the Crescent striker finished well. We responded to this setback in excellent fashion and got back level just 10 mins later. Strong work from Tadhg Collins on the right saw him get to the end line and pull the ball back to the edge of the six yard box where it was met by the onrushing Chris Cleary. We were the stronger team after this and went close a couple of times through Collins and Mike Murphy before taking the lead in the 30th min. Collins won a breaking ball on the edge of the box and played it out left to Barry Lawlor. Lawlor beat the first defender and then cut back inside before curling a superb shot into the top corner. 5 mins later we thought we had scored when Mick Collins nodded home a Collins cross but it was disallowed for a perceived foul. Just before half time we got caught and Crescent equalized. Some hesitant defending allowed their winger to get a cross in and it was nodded home from close range. Crescent came out strong in the 2nd half but after we weathered the first 10 mins we started to take control of the game again. With 60 mins gone Collins forced a save from the keeper and the ball fell to Murphy whose first time shot crept just over the bar. Crescent were always dangerous as well and it tokk some good goalkeeping from Piotr Ozaist to keep them at bay. Then, in the 70th min Collins was put in behind the defence and won the race to the ball with the keeper who brought him down for a penalty. Tim Kiely stepped up and slotted home the spot kick to put us into a 3-2 lead. Crescent got back level just 5 mins later though when a cross into the box was headed home. Crescent pushed on for the last 15 mins but the best chances fell to us on the break and we really should have wrapped it up with chances for Murphy and Paul Dawson. We held on for the draw though and the point that brought us the league title. Best for us on the day were Tadhg Collins, Danny O Riordan and Barry Lawlor.

Team: Piotr Ozaist, Finbarr Corcoran, Eamon O Keeffe, Tim Kiely, Trevor O Connor, Chris Cleary, Michael Murphy, Danny O Riordan, Barry Lawlor, Tadhg Collins, Michael Collins

Subs: John Lehane(45th min), Paul Dawson (70th min), Shane Collins (88th min), John Cullinane, Donal O Riordan, Brian Kelleher

Manager: Jer Keating


Final Standings at top of AUL Division 2A

Pld W D L GF GA Diff Pts
Millstreet Celtic 18 14 2 2 51 17 34 44
Crescent 18 12 5 1 51 18 33 41

4 thoughts on “Millstreet Celtic 3 Crescent 3”

  1. Brilliant! Thoroughly deserved, after last seasons final day fiasco in Springfield! Congratulations to all involved.

  2. well done boys dis mornin it was a great game 2 watch,well deserved after wat happened last year CHAMPIONS CHAMPIONS

  3. Congratulations lads. Superb effort all season, especially after last seasons robbery. Tom Tully eat your heart out!!!!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.